Sunday, October 30, 2011

It's back in action...

Let me tell you about my recent quibble with iCloud.

As a loyal mac user, I purchased a MobileMe account about a year ago to host my published website (created on iWeb). I could also access documents, photos, etc, on the go on different computers or my phone. It was awesome. Then, a couple of months ago, I discovered that Mac was transitioning from MobileMe to iCloud, and a few things would change in the interim. The biggest change would be the elimination of web hosting. I had to find a new hosting company, but at least I had until April of 2012 to do so.

Then I upgraded to OS X Lion last week. At the end of the installation process, I was asked if I'd like to upgrade to iCloud. Not thinking, I clicked YES.

Then a bunch of us put on a flash mob at a local health and wellness fair to promote Elevated Fitness and I handed out about 75 business cards. I came home to make a small change to the EF site. I published, then visited the site to make sure it came out ok. CRAP! I quickly realized that with the upgrade, my grace period was no more. I didn't have until April to find a host. I needed to do it now.

A client of mine recommended 1and1 for hosting. I registered, and got the ball rolling. But time was a-wasting, and I was afraid that all those contacts I had made at the fair were getting turned away by an error message on the computer screen, just like I had. I messed around with "pointing the domain" and writing down server info, just to find out that the domain I purchased last year @ go daddy.com (elevated-fitness.com) could take up to 2 days to bounce over to 1and1.

**I should also point out that I have zero experience with these sorts of things. What limited knowledge I have is from creating and publishing on iWeb...and learning from my mistakes. When searching for FTP how to-s and help sites on the internet, I have decided that this is totally a different language for me. And not something that you can sort of fudge your way through, like, "oh, I recognize 'leche'....that means milk". As the saying goes, it's all greek to me.**

Now, I have no doubt that 1and1 provides a better service, but I already had my domain with go daddy, so I decided to stay with them for the time being. Sorry Townsend, I know we discussed this earlier ....  :)  

To make a long story longer, I am upset that one of the most valuable aspects of M.Me was lost when I converted to iCloud. But, you can't have it all, I guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment