Tuesday, January 10, 2012

It's a New Year - don't stress out!

After a fantastic extended vacation, I'm back to the daily grind: training all of YOU!

While I was away, soaking up family, friends, and sleeping in past 6am, I had the opportunity to re-examine my daily stressors. Living stress-free over the vacation was an eye-opener. I was sleeping more soundly, laughing more...it was awesome! Now, I'm not one for resolutions. In my experience people that make resolutions typically don't stick with them. I feel that if you need to make a change in your life, the calendar shouldn't have a say in it. BUT, I had some time on my hands.

So, I evaluated the sources of stress in my life that I have control over.

This is what I came up with:

Schedule - Luckily for me, I make my own schedule. Unfortunately, this leads to number 2...
Saying Yes - I understand that a lot of people have this problem, especially moms! Saying yes
               has led me to currently hold about 5 different jobs at 3 different locations.
Family - This presents it's own set of stressors for each individual. Maybe finances, relationship
           woes, or screaming babies.
Chores - All of our daily responsibilities add up. Folding laundry, putting away the dishes,
            walking the dog...little things seem to pile up quickly. Are you the only one performing
            these duties?
My Brain - It sounds silly, but sometimes I let my mind get the best of me, especially before
           bed. I have a habit of replaying scenarios that went wrong or dwelling on the negative.

Do any of these sound familiar? What are your stressors?

Now that I identified a few of these problems, I am going to get to work on re-organizing and prioritizing. Uh-oh, adding tasks to my list of things to do ultimately adds stress...I can't win!

I encourage you to list your stressors and rank them. Who knows, you might even identify a source that you can do something about! The next blog posting will show you how to deal with them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment