Monday, March 4, 2013

Stick Your Neck Out

Thanks to the career paths of many family members, I have had the great opportunity to live in various places. Some more rural than others. In my experience, larger cities typically have lots of activities and ways to stay occupied, especially in the fitness realm. There are always races (running, multisport, cycling, adventure, themed events) and fitness-related seminars, lectures or conferences.

Having lived in a markedly smaller community for the past four years, I decided to stop complaining about having to travel hundreds of miles for these sorts of things. I will sponsor seminars and this April, I'll try my hand as a first-time race director.

A local friend who grew up in the area puts on a successful 5K every July 4th. I was talking to him about dabbling with race directorship. To paraphrase my friend: "I grew up racing dirt bikes. There weren't many weekends when I wasn't participating in an event of some sort. If it weren't for folks willing to donate their time and resources, I would never have been able to take part in something that I loved. So, if you need help getting the ball rolling on a race, I will do all that I can to help."

The older that I become, the more statements like this really "click". So often we complain and hope that someone else will step up to the plate. Screw waiting around. Do it yourself. To make a change in the community, you've got to stick your next out. Work your network, ask for help and do what you can to make your event a success. Chances are, there are lots of folks just waiting around, wanting to help, but never dared to take the first step.

The same is true of wanting to make a change in your body - inside or out. You've got to stick your neck out: put in the time, ask for support and do everything that you can to ensure that you get the results you want. Hopefully things will go so well that folks will notice and will want to change, too.

I won't lie. The process is scary. You've seen it done before...shoot, it can't be that difficult, right? Wrong. You need a plan. You need support, and you need follow-through.

So what are you waiting for?

Interested in supporting the Clovis Swim Club at the 1st Annual Wet 'n Wild Dash & Splash?

No comments:

Post a Comment