Monday, July 28, 2014

The Power of Perseverance

Client Spotlight: Arlise Jones

I woke up this morning in a bit of a funk. It happens. Starting my day and seeing my HPBC-ers definitely helped, but there was still a little gray cloud hanging over me. Later in the morning, a ray of sunshine appeared. A former client, Arlise, was hoping to meet up while she was in town for the day. We decided to get together for coffee. 

On the drive over, I thought back to our first meeting.

Through eating clean(er) and being mindful of portion size, Arlise had lost about forty pounds on her own by the time we met in 2011. A thorough consultation and chat about her medical history showed that she had been plagued by several physical ailments as well as some undiagnosed problems that were being investigated.

I remember our first workout well. In early 2011, Arlise was extremely deconditioned. Her strength and flexibility were both poor, but her lack of balance was by far the worst that I had witnessed amongst my non-elderly clients (of course, I kept this to myself at the time). Even while placing one hand on the wall for support, she could not lift one foot without stumbling. It was clear that her job, which kept her seated for 6-10h a day, was not helping!

We started slow, and with the basics. If she needed to take a breather, no big deal. Her history as an athlete in years' past shined through...she always wanted to push a little harder and was constantly testing her limits. Pulling out old workouts and test sets demonstrated just how far she had come, and fired her up to keep on keepin' on.


Brian, we want portrait, not landscape.
Arlise's excitement for exercise and commitment to a healthier eating regimen was infectious. At different points in her training, some of her co-workers even joined her at the gym. But like any normal human being, Arlise encountered a few speed bumps along her journey. A surgery here, a surgery there to fix chronic health problems set her strength back and put weight loss on hold...but after each operation, she was anxious to get moving again. Even a hernia repair (that had gone undiagnosed for a year and a half), didn't stop the A-train! Woo-woo!

I wasn't quite sure what to expect when we met this afternoon, but I can safely say, I was blown away! As a friend had commented, "Where's the other half of you?" After the initial shock of my former client's extreme change, we caught up on each other's lives. If a little gray cloud was hanging over me this morning, it sounded like a storm cell had been dumping on her for months! Stressors from health, family, accidents, natural disaster, and the scum of humanity were waiting for her at every intersection. But she didn't stray from her good habits. Finding time to exercise three times a week has been a great stress relief.


Almost 100# down!
We reflected back on how far she had come....a size 18 when we started in 2011, and now a 6/8. "It's too bad we don't have my measurements from back then." Ummm, who carries a measuring tape around in her purse? This girl. 

I took Arlise's measurements in the ladies' room of the coffee shop, and promised that I would compare her numbers to her file when I got home. A friend photographed our reunion and I told her I would look for an old photo that I took during a workout "way back when". We said our good byes and promised to keep in touch. 

Maybe it was the caffeine buzz, but I think it was knowing that Arlise has experienced such success that lifted my cloud. Most of her success stemmed from the actions and habits she kept after our time together. Sure, there were a few problems that crept up along the way; some might consider them to be total roadblocks. But to her, they were just speed bumps in reaching her goal.

Congratulations, Arlise!

I was unable to find the "before" pictures... :(


Since signing on with Elevated Fitness
Weight Loss: 44.8 lbs
Inches Lost: 41.5''

Not sure where she is now, but wanted to show a few baseline notes:
Day ONE : Total fatigue with 7 kneeling pushups 
Day ONE: Total fatigue with 4 full sit-ups
Day ONE: Inability to perform body weight squat / chair sit & stand
Day ONE: Unable to lift one foot and maintain balance with assistance








No comments:

Post a Comment